RE: tlug: security, ministry crackers

>One would imagine that the problem is widespread,
>not limited to the ministeries...

>From here at Nago-U, at least, the Internet has been pretty
flakey over the past few days.  Two mornings ago, we couldn't
reach anything outside the country, and major in-country
(or so I assume ...) sites like CNN and Yahoo were inaccessible.
Strangely, some in-country sites (Kinokuniya) were still visible,
so it wasn't just our gateway that went down.

Anyone else have strange connection experiences?

This makes me wonder whether sites that have a country
ending like "jp" are necessarily located physically inside the
relevant country.  Anyone know particulars or sources of info
on this one?  Seems like it could be important to business,
and significant in litigation.

Frank Bennett

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD