RE: tlug: Two Qs re translation project

Thanks for the extensive info!

>Gotta get a Japanese- or Unicode-/UTF-8-capable indexing engine.

I just bingo'ed.  There is a Japanese-capable version of WAIS-sf
(which I remember fighting with when it was in early beta --- *brilliant*
stuff once I got it installed, though).  If my hasty glance through the
sites leading to this is correct, this is the search engine underlying
the "namazu" CGI bundle that is on its way to becoming a default
standard for providing search facilities in Japanese intranets and
Web search sites.

Although it will be like squashing a knat with a pile driver at this point,
I'm really happy about this: I need a reasonably quick return to
Tcl of a list of file names that contain a given string or phrase.  WAIS
will certainly do the trick, no matter how large our archive
eventually grows; so there won't need to be any reengineering
later on.  Time to open the champagne.

Anyway, here's a site that describes the Japanese patch to the
WAIS engine (in Japanese):

  http://www.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~baba/wais/index.html

Cheers,
Frank Bennett

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD