Re: tlug: Linux DVD

Hi,

Marc wrote:
>You might want to try "Xmovie" which now has highly optimized, threaded
>unencrypted-DVD playback capability.  I don't have the URL, however it is
>by the same author as Brodcast2000.  Look on freshmeat.net for either
>one.
Just tried it out.  The program it self looks great, but still no luck
with my DVD.

Here's what happned.
1)I authenticated the DVD following the directions from the HOWTO at
www.opendvd.org
2)Since Xmovie doen't appear to support pipes I saved the supposedly
decrypted .vob onto my harddisk. (The flags that I used for css-cat are
-v1P)
3)A few minuets and 1GB of less free space later, I tryied to play back
the .vob and I get a screen mostly green interlased with multicolored
patches of crud (similar thing with nist, whilst xmovie dumps lons of
error messages complaining).

Marcus wrote:
>It works, but there is no more work being done on nist. They started
>to write a new DVD player on livid which is called mpeg2dec.
>Anyway, for nist or mpeg2dec it is important that you set the
>processor option correctly, because different CPUs have different
>enhanced instruction sets like MMX. For more information have a look
>at  http://www.linuxvideo.org/, http://www.linuxtv.org/dvd/ or
>http://home.germany.net/100-5083/index.htm.
Checked that, since I have a i686 (Dual Celleron) the default of
-march=i686 should be fine...

Hmm, I need to get some sleep now, (hey I am parly human right? ;-) , but
I am begining to suspect that css-cat isn't doing it's work properly.
Tomorow I'll look into DeCSS.

Thanks for all the help,

Austin K. Kurahone
Tokyo Linux Users Group
"It didn't matter.  Not when all mistakes could be left behind at twelve hundered miles per hour."  --Ringworld

Ps: BTW I also just modified my Wrapper so that it supports any player
(not just nist).

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD