Re: tlug: Gateway P3-500 is freaking me out (install)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:04:12AM -0800, Scott M. Stone wrote:
>
> > well, according to /proc/pci it *is* some kind of Promise controller, but
> > why doesn't the system's own BIOS recognize the drives either?
>
> Promise controllers have their own BIOS.  System BIOS usually knows how to
> probe only its onboard interfaces.
>
> I have a Promise Ultra66 controller on my FTP server, and found that I needed
> to apply a patch (http://www.tuug.net/software/pu66.diff) to 2.2 kernels to
> get proper detection.

so how do you install onto a disk on one of those controllers?  I'm
thinking just put the disk on the regular bus, install, apply patch, then
use the promise controller, or something like that.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD