Re: tlug: ppa

>Apparently you are not getting the PPA modules built.  The old ones
>are still there under /lib/modules so you get error messages.  So my
>guess is that they are disabled or unavailable in the current .config.
>
> (...)
>
>Use `make menuconfig' or `make xconfig'.  Go to SCSI support, then to
>SCSI low-level drivers, then look to see whether the "IOMEGA parallel
>port" is enabled.  You probably want PPA, but you might also make the
>IMM modules (for newer IOMEGA peripherals) at the same time.
>
>You can also check this quickly with
>"egrep 'SCSI_(PPA|IMM)' /usr/src/linux/.config".  You will probably
>see that neither is set in your current configuration.

When I tried this first I got "No such file or directory". So I used
menuconfig and found the following settings:

  x x<M> IOMEGA parallel port (ppa - older drives)                        x
  x x<M> IOMEGA parallel port (imm - newer drives)
x x
  x x[ ]   ppa/imm option - Use slow (but safe) EPP-16
  x x
  x x[ ]   ppa/imm option - Assume slow parport control register
    x x

Which after reading help I changed to the following:

  x x<M> IOMEGA parallel port (ppa - older drives)                        x
  x x<M> IOMEGA parallel port (imm - newer drives)
x x
  x x[*]   ppa/imm option - Use slow (but safe) EPP-16
  x x
  x x[ ]   ppa/imm option - Assume slow parport control register
    x x

But when I look at it now I guess this change was not really relevant, was it?

Anyway, after finishing this I all of a sudden did have a .config file
about which the egrep from above said:

[root@example.com linux]# egrep 'SCSI_(PPA|IMM)'
/usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_SCSI_PPA=m
CONFIG_SCSI_IMM=m

Now I am sitting and waiting since quite a while for this computer to
finish compiling ... It is probably much quicker to download a compiled
kernel from somewhere ... uhm, RedHat, maybe? I am sometimes a bit slow ...
maybe...

Thanks for all your help, I will give up for tonight, oyasumi!

Uli

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD