Re: tlug: gtk and kinput2

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 02:54:16PM +0000, BOTi wrote:
> What window manager are you using?  The problem might be that the kinput2
> window tries to stay on top but your window manager doesn't let it to be
> placed there.  This is just one idea.  So give us some more details about
> your system, gtk, kinput2, Xfree versions, etc.

Already sent the details, minus which window manager I was using. Turned
out that was the relevant detail; thanks for pointing it out. I have a
tendency to ignore the obvious in search of a more obscure solution (or
maybe, deep down, I just wanted to blame kinput2 [see below] for my
troubles. Apparently, WindowMaker and kinput2 don't coexist very well, or
at least not on my laptop. It worked fine when I tried it with flwm. Well,
I still couldn't get text to display in the gimp drawing area, but I could
at least enter the text into the widget before it hung. Progress?

Bummer. I really like WindowMaker's look and feel. Hopefully, there's a
workaround.

> Then why don't you mail it to me as a bugreport!? :-P     Probably
> because it's not a bug in gjiten. ;-)
Just like you said. I figured that since I could duplicate the problem in
more than one program, that it probably wasn't a gjiten bug.

> And not just kinput2 but other input methods which support the X Input
> Method protocol can pass japanese text to gtk.
What other input methods?

> I have this line in my .Xdefaults file: *inputMethod: kinput2 You could
> also read the kinput2 docs and Xfree86-doc/XIM as well for more details.
> They might not answer your question though.
Yeah, been there, done that before. I think I was just venting my
frustration with kinput2, which has, in the past, caused me many bruises
from where I've banged my head against a desk (or whatever hard object
happened to be handy) in frustration.

john
--
jseebach@example.com