Re: tlug: ppa

> From: Ulrike Schmidt <798a5047@example.com>

>I did not knowingly upgrade the kernel, but when we installed a second
>harddisc we had some problems with installing RedHat 6.1 (how does one
>check the version? As far as I remember it was 6.1) and installed it over
cat /etc/redhat-release [or similar file]

But anyway RH6.1 has a nicely compiled kernel with all the modules. So if you didn't upgrade the kernel, then why not use
this original one?

> I>So go to the kernel src dir and "make clean; make bzImage; make modules;
> make modules_install; "
> >Then install the newly compiled kernel, run lilo, and reboot.
> >This should fix it.
> I tried this, and when I entered "make bzImage" I was asked a lot of
> questions I was not sure how to answer, so I guessed that I need to

Can you quote things like this message next time? So I and others who could possibly help would know what this is about.

> configure the kernel first, killed this questionnaire and did "make
> oldconfig".

If you have a working X, you might do make xconfig as well.
Or make menuconfig if you have ncurses. The oldconfig method is not very convenient.
Also make sure that the kernel config file belongs to the same kernel version.

> Then I took a closer look at the config, but I am not sure with many of
> these options. Which are probably relevant ones?

Read the help file for the options that you're not sure with. Also you could read the Kernel-HOWTO.

> Or is the problem not
> related to the config at all? Why does the error message of "modprobe ppa"
> say that the resource or device is busy?

Also you could try compiling the ppa support into the kernel instead of building it as a module and see what happens.

> Was also wondering whether it is possible to revive RedHat 5.2 on the first
> harddrive as an option, it is mounted at the moment under /mnt/oldlinux.
> But its /boot directory looks a bit different from the currently booting
> /boot directory, there seems to be no kernel for putting into the
> lilo.config as an option.

Well, if it was a working linux system at one time there must be a kernel there somewhere.
Look into the /etc/lilo.conf file of that system to see where the kernel image is located.
And then you can modify your new RH6.1 system's lilo.conf and add an option for booting from your 2nd harddisk.

B0Ti.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD