Re: tlug: pine and Japanese

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Drew C. Poulin wrote:

> For some reason, though, when I try to reply to a message containing
> Japanese, the Japanese in the message I am replying to doesn't display
> properly in reply mode. Also, some messages that I get that contain
> Japanese completely discombobble my display, forcing me to quit pine and
> restart it before anything displays properly again.

This behavior seems consistent with what I experienced with a Pine that
was not patched for Japanese.  I found that I could input Japanese, but
text was often garbled in replies, and some messages would totally
scramble the kterm it was in.

> Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?  I'm using pine 3.96,
> which I got on a Japanese Slackware CD.  It's not pine-j, which I also
> understand exists.  Is the solution to use that?

If there is any doubt as to whether or not this Pine is
Japanese-patched, I recommend installing one that is known to be so
patched.  I'm inferring that you are running Slackware, so I don't have
a source URL ready at hand, but perhaps someone else has one (I know
where to get a source RPM that is Japanese-patched, but that won't do
you any good if you're running Slackware).

Jonathan

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD