Re: tlug: automated login & startx, etc

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, BOTi wrote:

> > > Since I'm the only user of my home computer I'd like to get X started as
> > > user boti without logging in.
>
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > > I tried to put the following line into /etc/inittab :
>
> > > 1:2345:once:/bin/su -m - boti -s /bin/bash -m /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>
> > this is kind of ugly.  Why don't you just make runlevel 5 your default
> > runlevel (edit the 'initdefault' line in /etc/inittab)?  On all linux
> > distros that I've seen, this starts up X at boot and gives you an xdm
> > login screen.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I know that it is ugly, that's why I'm asking for help ;)
> But my question was to log in and start up X automatically [khmm, just like win95 boots up] . XDM does not accomplish this
> since you have to login in just like via a console getty. Doesn't save time.
>
> Any more ideas?

make your initdefault to 1 instead of 3 or 5.  Then make a line in
/etc/inittab like this:

x1:1:once:/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

you may have to modify it to pass commandline options to startx to specify
what init files to use, or something like that.

HOWEVER -- running Linux as a single user OS is kind of defeating the
entire point of what Linux stands for.  If you have a user that doesn't
understand logging in with a username and password and/or doesn't
understand why that's a good idea, then that user should probably use
Windows or MacOS, IMHO.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD