Re: tlug: automated login & startx, etc

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Scott M. Stone wrote:

>    On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, BOTi wrote:
>
>    > Greetings,
>    >
snip..
>    > I've been looking for a solution to this but still haven't found one
>    > yet.
>    > I tried to put the following line into /etc/inittab :
>    > 1:2345:once:/bin/su -m - boti -s /bin/bash -m /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
>    > But it doesn't work correctly because X needs a shell with job control
>    > and bash started up this way has no job control.
>
>    this is kind of ugly.  Why don't you just make runlevel 5 your default
>    runlevel (edit the 'initdefault' line in /etc/inittab)?  On all linux
>    distros that I've seen, this starts up X at boot and gives you an xdm
>    login screen.

In other words, independent of any distros, use xdm (or its new
incarnations like kdm) instead of startx. You can make a runlevel (if
you dont already have one), say 5, putting the following line in
/etc/inittab

x1:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.5

and have rc.5 execute xdm as

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon

You can customize xdm or use use kdm instead, for a fancier welcome
screen. Of course, you still have to login, but typing in your name and
password in a fancy box (with an active mouse) is more fun, sometimes.

Selva

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD