Re: tlug: problems with netscape 4.7 japanese

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Jerome Limozin wrote:

> appears to be a muriyari netscape (btw, what muriyari means??)

"Forced" works.  In this context, "hacked" probably makes a good
translation.  It fits, too  :-)

> But I have also a lot of problems with this version of netscape. it is
> very
> buggy, it crashes quite often. Or for example, when I enter a mail
> address
> in a To: field, all characters I type are deleted, but the first one, as

The crashing is "normal" for muriyari (even regular Netscape tends to
have this "feature," but not as much).  The one with addresses
disappearing is one I haven't heard about before, but since I dislike
Netscape Mail, it could certainly exist without my knowing about it.

One thing that will help with the crashing is turning off Java and
Javascript.  I was amazed at the difference that made on my machines.
Netscape actually got pretty stable.

Yup :-@

> - is there a more stable version (what about 4.51?)

4.51 works well for me (I'm using the Laser 5 RPM in TurboLinux 4.x)

> - or can I find another japanized netscape implementation?

Muriyari is the only one I've seen or heard of.

> - what are you using/recommending for a web browser/mailer ?

Opera for Linux is now in beta, but I haven't tried it.  People say the
Windows version is really good, though.  I don't know how it does in
Japanese.

You can also use lynx for text-based browsing if you're so inclined.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)