tlug: problems with netscape 4.7 japanese

I'm using mandrake 6.1 (english). On top of it, I installed a few rpm
packages from redhat 6.1 nihongo distribution, to be able to read/input
japanese.
For exemple,I have installed netscape comunicator 4.7 package, which
appears to be a muriyari netscape (btw, what muriyari means??)
It works mostly. I can read japanese web pages and mails, menus appears
in
japanese. I can even input japanese characters with the help of kinput2
and
canna, which is great.

But I have also a lot of problems with this version of netscape. it is
very
buggy, it crashes quite often. Or for example, when I enter a mail
address
in a To: field, all characters I type are deleted, but the first one, as

soon as I make a pause in typing (this is weird).

I like netscape ability to display nicely japanese characters in web
pages/mails, and let me enter japanese. But I'm far from satisfied. I
might
use another browser/mailer, but I don't know about other softwares.

- Are some of you using the same version of netscape (4.7 muriyari)?
What
do you think about?
- Are these problems usual with netscape-muriyari?
- is there a more stable version (what about 4.51?)
- or can I find another japanized netscape implementation?

- what are you using/recommending for a web browser/mailer ?
my requirement is that it should be basically english based soft
(because
I've still a hard time to read japanese docs...), but "Japanese Ready"
(read/input). It should be also simple to use.

I've tried emacs with mule, it works, but it is little too complicate
for
my wife. Too much <Ctrl> <X> <Whatever> keyboard combinations....

Thanks a lot for your help!
Jerome

Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)